Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Carmonica

First there was this article, from the New Zealand Herald:































Naturally this made me curious, because I play harmonica. And know how to drive a car.

So then I found this:
























This was interesting. The harmonicas are not only larger than your standard diatonic Hohner Marine Band, but they are completely unmarked. No branding whatsoever. They are also double reed harmonicas- the kind that invoke the image of cape- wearing gendarmes strolling along the Seine on a warm Parisienne night.

Further research uncovered this:































Well, gentle reader, you know me- when it comes to getting the low- down skinny for my loyal L by L readers, I leave no stone unturned.

Finally I found this:



So now we know. Three hundred and thirty harmonicas traveling at 100 km/h sounds sort of like the end chord of "Day in the Life" by the Beatles.

After listening to the video I can tell you that a) the harmonicas are, thankfully, all in the same key and b) if you were driving this car and needed to use the horn in a life or death situation, you'd be completely screwed.

2 comments:

paul said...

Wonderful, hilarious last sentence.

Anonymous said...

Now there's an ad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0xNaS6TZDI