Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blogged Down

A friend of mine wrote under the heading, "Enough rest old man":
" I don't want to sound ungrateful,but post SOMETHING!
I don't have much of a life and I really like the stuff You put up! I know your family is important,but I also know your creativity also knocks.
Hey, post something just for me! I'll Know.
Congrats on IBC!!"

Then he wrote:
"I know your fan base is not as important as family. I'm just nudgin'"

Damn it, but he's right- that Memphis trip and subsequent events have left me blogged down and listless. But that's no excuse! Especially when the "fan base" demands it!

So, what's it going to be?

My long- considered rant about how we pay for cable TV and still have to put up with endless commercials and mediocre programming? Whose idea of the future is this?

Or a commentary on the great Little Walter Jacobs whose box set released on Chess/ MCA this last year won a Grammy?

Or to steer you to a great story here in the Onion that gives me much needed confidence that satire is not dead in this humorless, beleaguered country?

Or how about those Saints? This will be the first time since the Skins were Superbowl regulars that I've been planning to watch. That last game was incredible. Best coin toss ever!

Or maybe just a little reminder that the great entertainer Louis Jordan died in Los Angeles on this date in 1975. I could even add a pic:




















Or how about an intelligent meditation on J. D. Salinger and his impact on post- adolescent boys flunking out of expensive prep schools?

And then there are my thoughts about creativity and the near impossibility of sustaining it. Think about it: when was the last time Chuck Berry wrote a great song? Or Leiber and Stoller, for that matter?

So much to blog about. Wonder what the "fan base" is thinking?

4 comments:

SueWho said...

I guess I'm fan base and family, so do I count? Well, here's what I think anyway. I think you have to keep on bloggin' and keep on making good music. Don't let Memphis and the thrill of the IBC make you complacent - this is no time for a let-down. Keep moving onward. Like before it was "on to Memphis." And now it's "on to whatever is next!"

SueWho said...

By the way, I like your link to that great Onion piece on Rushie.

EmLit said...

I for one would like to hear your thoughts on Salinger, because I love you and I love Holden Caulfield.

Rebecca said...

You could go with what the Onion said about Salinger, which was quoted in NewsWeek: "Thousands upon thousands of phonies across the country mourned the death of author J.D. Salinger, who was 91 years old for crying out loud."

Best tribute ever.